Your Mission: As employees of ADF (Aerospace Design Firm), you have been tasked with the job of creating a lunar base that will serve as a temporary residence for humans. At least four humans will need to be able to live on this base for one year. Your team will need to research how to overcome some of the challenges of living on the moon. Your team will then design a prototype of your lunar base, being careful to use resources efficiently.
As a class, we brainstormed the possible challenges living on the Moon would present.
- The Moon does not have an atmosphere, so we will need protection from extreme temperatures, meteorites, and radiation from the Sun.
- The dusty surface could also cause problems with our equipment.
- Where would we get food and water?
- The moon does not have air, so how will we get air to survive?
- The lack of gravity could also be a challenge living on the Moon.
We read the article, “We Could Be Living On The Moon In 10 Years Or Less” and our work began! We worked with partners to discover possibilities to overcome our challenges, and created a rough sketch with the needed materials. Finally, it was time to create a prototype of our design!
We presented our lunar base models to the rest of the class, and put them in this video to share with you!
Would you live on the Moon?